Friday, March 18, 2011

Coach Jeremy at "The Pit" Field Report

Below is a field report from Coach Jeremy who spent last weekend at "The Pit", training with CrossPit founder, John Hackelman and his team.

Thanks for the report, Jeremy!

Enjoy...

Jeremy (in the red shorts), on a training run with "The Pit Master" (over Jeremy's left shoulder)
and the rest of the crew.


"This was my third time out to the world famous "Pit" in Arroyo Grande California where "Pit Master" John Hackleman has trained some of the best MMA fighters out of what he calls his family oriented, traditional Karate school. This was my third time training at the Pit, and as usual, I had a great time. The conditioning workouts were hard, but I have to say that it gets SLIGHTLY easier each time, and I have give credit to my Pit/Crosspit training at the Indiana Pit in Kokomo, as well as, my training here at PR Fitness.

Admittedly, I was quite intimidated on my first trip out, and who wouldn't be. I'm a skinny, 165 lb guy walking into a gym that has trained the likes of Chuck Liddell. But, in my opinion, one of the keys to John's success is that anyone can walk in and immediately feel comfortable. There are no egos, and everyone seems to be there to help out. Ohana is a word that gets used over and over again, which is Hawaiian for family (John grew up and began all his training in Hawaii). Many of his fighters and casual students (if there is such a thing) have this word tattooed on their bodies, and the feeling is tangible. That is one of the main reasons that I like to train at The Pit, the Indiana Pit, and of course, PR Fitness: no egos -- just good people who like to push each other and work very, very hard. I don't think I am alone in this sentiment, but I digress...

Each day at the seminar was fairly long and included about two conditioning sessions and about two didactic/technique training sessions. Conditioning included pushing wheelbarrows 2-3 hundred yards uphill, 100lb D-ball clean & tosses (up the same hill), 20lb sledge hammers, double unders, sand dune sprints, and a run/hike almost 2 miles up the nearby Mt. Madonna.

We did technique training with John, and UFC fighters Court Mcgee and Antonio Banuelos. Luigi Mondelli (3rd degree black belt) gave us several hours of Jiujitsu training. I had the honor of rolling with him, and he gave me the double honor of awarding my instructor and I our first ranking in BJJ under Bestway/American Top Team. I think I might have some insider info regarding the next season of The Ultimate Fighter as well!!

I always wish I could stay longer and just train, but the real world calls. I feel refreshed and ready to continuing my training with the PR Fitness "Ohana", and I hope I can make a positive contribution to the gym."

No comments:

Post a Comment